(JESUS) SUFFERED UNDER PONTIUS PILATE WAS CRUCIFIED, DEAD, AND BURIED
JESUS DID NOT MERELY DIE FOR US; HE ALSO SUFFERED FOR US.
- We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us… 1 John 3:16
JESUS THE SUFFERING SERVANT
1. GOD’S PROMISE OF THE SERVANT
- “See, my servant will prosper; he will be highly exalted.” Isaiah 52:13
- “For all of God’s promises find their 'yes' of fulfillment in Christ. And as his 'yes' and our 'amen' ascend to God, we bring him glory!” 2 Corinthians 1:20
2. THE MISSION OF THE SERVANT
- “Yet it was our weaknesses he carried; it was our sorrows that weighed him down. And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God, a punishment for his own sins! But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed.” Isaiah 53:4-5
- “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” 2 Corinthians 5:21 NIV
JESUS CAME FOR MY SAKE, TO TAKE MY SIN, TO MAKE ME RIGHTEOUS ALL THROUGH HIS SUFFERING!
3. THE INNOCENCE OF THE SERVANT
- “He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet he never said a word. He was led like a lamb to the slaughter. And as a sheep is silent before the shearers, he did not open his mouth. He had done no wrong and had never deceived anyone. But he was buried like a criminal; he was put in a rich man’s grave.” Isaiah 53:7,9
- "Jesus said, 'Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.'” Luke 23:34
4. THE SACRIFICE OF THE SERVANT
- "But it was the Lord’s good plan to crush him and cause him grief. Yet when his life is made an offering for sin, he will have many descendants…" Isaiah 53:10
- “He humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross.” Philippians 2:8
- "With his own blood—not the blood of goats and calves—he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever." Hebrews 9:12
5. VINDICATION THROUGH THE SERVANTS SUFFERING
- “When he sees all that is accomplished by his anguish, he will be satisfied. And because of his experience, my righteous servant will make it possible for many to be counted righteous, for he will bear all their sins. I will give him the honors of a victorious soldier, because he exposed himself to death. He was counted among the rebels. He bore the sins of many and interceded for rebels.” Isaiah 53:11-12
DECLARATION: BECAUSE JESUS GAVE ME HIS EVERYTHING I WILL GIVE ALL OF ME!
“Since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering. Romans 8:17-18